TRAVEL PASS SCHEME
- To be eligible to participate in this scheme an employee must be either:
- A permanent member of staff;
- A member of staff whose contract of employment has an end date on or after 31st December 2013 and whose annual salary can be pre-determined.
- The Scheme applies only to annual rail/bus passes issued by Iarnrod Eireann, Bus Eireann and/or Dublin Bus.
- All applications for participation must be submitted to the Human Resources Office not later than Friday, 16th November 2012.
- Staff who wish to participate in the Scheme must complete a ‘Travel Pass Scheme Application Form’ and a ‘Travel Pass Scheme Form of Authorisation’ and submit both forms to the Human Resources Office.
- The University will then purchase the Travel Pass on the employee’s behalf in exchange for the employee ‘sacrificing’ the commensurate value from their annual basic salary in lieu.
- Staff participating in the scheme must e-mail a digital photograph of themselves (taken from the shoulders up) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have already supplied this photograph on previous occasions, it will not be necessary for you to forward it again.
- If less that 40 staff elect to participate in the Scheme, all Travel Pass issue will occur from the Dublin Bus Office in O’Connell Street, Dublin.
- Travel Passes issued as part of this Scheme will commence from 1st January 2013 and will be valid for travel for a one-year period.
- For the Scheme to be able to satisfy the Revenue Commissioners requirements for salary sacrifice, the Scheme operates on an annual basis. Accordingly, participants in the Scheme are only able to cancel their participation at the expiry of the one-year period.
- A new application will be required in respect of each subsequent year of participation.
- An employee who terminates his/her employment prior to the expiry of his/her twelve month agreement, will have the outstanding Travel Pass debt deducted from their final salary/wage or any other monies due. In the event of insufficient monies being available to meet the debt in full, the individual will personally reimburse National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
- National University of Ireland, Maynooth accepts no liability or responsibility in the case of lost or unused travel passes (transport providers may replace lost passes at a fee), or in the case of any injury that the employee may incur while using the travel pass.
- The Scheme will have no impact on pension contributions or on pension benefits.
- In the case of resignation/termination of employment, it is possible for individuals to claim a refund from Iarnrod Eireann/Dublin Bus. However, please note that the refund will be based on the ‘monthly’ cost of ticket and not the ‘annual’ cost.
Last edited: Thursday, 11-Oct-2012 10:36:15 IST